The Town of Shelby was formed on March 6, 1818. Shelby was once a part of the Town of Ridgeway and Genesee County. By an Act of the Legislature of the State in March of 1818, the Town of Ridgeway was divided into two towns and the Town of Shelby was created. Shelby was named in honor of Governor Isaac Shelby - the first and fifth Governor of the State of Kentucky.
Shelby encompasses 46.3 miles and is located in the southwest corner of Orleans County. The Town of Shelby is comprised of the hamlets of Shelby Center, East Shelby, West Shelby, Shelby Basin and Millville; the southern half of the Village of Medina is located in the Town of Shelby and the county seat is in Albion.
The population of Shelby is approximately 5,319 of the county's 42,235 residents. The Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge & Iroquois Job Corps are situated in the Town of Shelby, along with many successful manufacturing, industrial and multigenerational farming operations, all of which have been a stable presence in our peaceful, rural community for decades.
ext. 301 - Town Clerk
ext. 304 - Town Assessor
ext. 306 - Highway Department
ext. 309 - Court Clerk
ext. 312 - Water Clerk
ext. 313 - Bookkeeper
ext. 314 - Code Enforcement Officer
ext. 321 - Orleans EDA Office